Fulton, Mo. March 24, 2021 – This 2021 One week ago today The Westminster College Blue Jays and the Webster University Gorloks met to decide who would share the SLIAC Regular Season Championship. The Blue Jays would prevail and share the title. Tonight, a week later, the same two teams will meet in the same place, Historic Gym to decide who will advance to the SLIAC Tournament Finals. When the two teams met earlier this month in St. Louis the Gorloks prevailed in four sets (26-24, 25-12, 12-25, 25-18) The rematch went Westminster's way (25-19, 25-22, 23-25, 26-24) Tonight one team will take the season series and earn the right to play for a SLIAC Tournament Championship.
When: March 31, 2021
Where: Fulton, Mo. Westminster College
Venue: Historic Gym
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Affiliations: Westminster and Webster are NCAA Division III institutions and members of the
St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SLIAC)
Live Video: HERE
Westminster University COVID-19 Attendance Policy: No Fans Will Be Allowed
Taking a look at the #19 Westminster College Blue Jays (12-2, 11-2 SLIAC):
- The Westminster attack is anchored by Haley Menke who is third in the SLIAC with 184 total kills while also ranking fourth in the SLIAC in kills per set at 3.47. Eryka Wanyonyi checks in at sixth place in the SLIAC in total kills with 146 and fifth in kills per set at 2.92. Natalie Needy, has 126 kills, good for ninth in the SLIAC, while also third in the SLIAC in hitting percentage at .272.
- Gretchen Durbala checks in with a conference leading 498 assists. Her 9.40 assists per set also leads all SLIAC setters.
- The Blue Jay defense is powered by a two-time, SLIAC Defensive Player of the Week Erica Schrader with 220 digs which ranks fourth in the SLIAC. Her 4.15 digs per set is sixth in the SLIAC. Wanyonyi follows her with 176 digs. Allie Kennebeck check in with 140 digs.
- The Blue Jays are led at the net by Needy who's been dominant there. Her 44 block assists and 53 total blocks lead the SLIAC in those categories, and she's also first in the conference with 1.00 blocks per set. She is followed by Menke who is in fifth in the conference with 27 total blocks. Needy leads the team with 16 service aces good for 11th in the SLIAC.
- The Blue Jays rank third in the SLIAC in kills (645), fourth in kills per set (12.17) and third in hitting percentage (.184).
- Westminster leads the conference in total blocks (92) and is also first in blocks per set (1.73).
Taking a look at the #14 Webster University Gorloks (11-3, 10-3 SLIAC):
- The Gorlok attack is led by Lauren Borik with 169 kills, good for fourth in the SLIAC, and her 3.60 kills per set ranks third in the SLIAC. Alexis Wolf follows with 117 kills and Ali Spohr has 68 kills.
- The Webster defense is led by Kyra Gensel with 218 digs which is good for fifth in the SLIAC. Her 4.64 digs per set ranks fifth in the SLIAC.
- Spohr leads the Gorloks with 185 assists and Delaney Demman has 163 assists.
- Borik leads the Gorloks with 21 service aces which ranks fourth in the SLIAC.
- Kylie Burke is second in the SLIAC in total blocks with 40.
- Webster ranks second in the SLIAC in kills per set (13.02) and second in hitting percentage (.191).
- The Webster defense ranks first in the SLIAC with 18.94 digs per set and is second in blocks per set at 1.70.