Fulton, Mo. – The nations #10 ranked women's volleyball team the Westminster College Blue Jays will once again put their undefeated record on the line this Friday night at home vs. the Fontbonne University Griffins. The match will have a first serve time of 7:00 p.m. in Historic Gym. The game will be played on a historic date. 75 Years ago, to the day, Sir Winston Churchill delivered his famous "Sinews of Peace" address commonly referred to as The Iron Curtain Speech. He was accompanied by President Harry S. Truman and the speech is credited with the beginning of the Cold War.
When: March 5th, 2021
Where: Fulton, Mo. Westminster College
Venue: Historic Gym
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Affiliations: Westminster and Fontbonne are NCAA Division III institutions and members of the
St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SLIAC)
Live Video: HERE
Westminster College COVID-19 Attendance Policy: No Fans Will Be Allowed
Taking a look at the #10 Westminster College Blue Jays (7-0, 7-0 SLIAC):
- On Thursday the Blue Jays received word that they had climbed to #10 in the second AVCA NCAA Division III Coaches Poll of the season.
- Last time out the Blue Jays won a thrilling 5 set comeback win at Blackburn College this past Tuesday (23-25, 25-16, 22-25, 27-25, 15-13).
- The Blue Jays and the Fontbonne met earlier this season in St. Louis with the Blue Jays claiming a 3-1 victory (14-25, 27-25, 25-23, 25-21).
- The Westminster attack is anchored by Haley Menke who is first in the SLIAC with 101 total kills while also ranking second in the SLIAC in kills per set at 3.65. Eryka Wanyonyi checks in at fifth place in the SLIAC in total kills with 80 and sixth in kills per set at 2.86. Natalie Needy, the reigning and two-time SLIAC Offensive Player of the Week, has 72 kills, good for sixth in the SLIAC, while also leading the SLIAC in hitting percentage at .352.
- Gretchen Durbala checks in with a conference leading 271 assists. Her 9.68 assists per set also leads all SLIAC setters.
- The Blue Jay defense is powered by two-time, SLIAC Defensive Player of the Week Erica Schrader with 110 digs which ranks third in the SLIAC. Her 3.93 digs per set is eighth in the SLIAC. Wanyonyi follows her with 90 digs. Allie Kennebeck check in with 60 digs.
- The Blue Jays are led at the net by Needy who's 20 total blocks lead the SLIAC and she also third in the conference with .71 blocks per set. She is followed by Payton Bledsoe who is in tenth in the conference with 11 total blocks. Needy leads the team with twelve service aces good for fourth in the SLIAC.
- Kennebeck ranks eighth in the SLIAC in service aces with ten.
- The Blue Jays rank first in the SLIAC in kills (345), third in kills per set (12.32) and second in hitting percentage (.191). Westminster also leads the conference in total blocks (38) and is third in blocks per set (1.35).
Taking a look at the Fontbonne University Griffins (3-4, 3-4 SLIAC):
- Fontbonne University comes into the match after beating their neighbor and arch rival Webster University (25-23, 25-20, 18-25, 26-24) this past Tuesday.
- The Griffin attack is led by Jayden Fitzgerald who's 95 kills rank second in the SLIAC while her 3.65 kills per set leads the conference. Freshman Hannah Gallagher has 91 kills and 3.50 kills per set rank third in the SLIAC.
- The Fontbonne defense is led by E Pramik with 110 digs which is good for third in the SLIAC. Her 4.23 digs per set ranks fifth in the SLIAC.
- Fontbonne ranks third in the SLIAC in kills (324) and hitting percentage (.164).
- Blackburn ranks sixth in hitting percentage at .111, fourth in digs at 373 and second in total blocks with 29.
SLIAC VOLLEYBALL STANDINGS