Fulton, Mo. March 24, 2021 – This 2021 Spring SLIAC volleyball season began with three teams predicted to tie atop the standings. One of those teams Greenville University already sits at 11-2 and atop the standings. The other two teams Webster University and Westminster College each sit at 10-2 and meet in the regular season finale tonight in Historic Gym to determine who will share the regular season SLIAC Championship with Greenville. When the two teams met earlier this month in St. Louis the Gorloks prevailed in four sets (26-24, 25-12, 12-25, 25-18) This night's game will also serve as Senior Night for Allie Kennebeck and Natalie Needy as we honor them and their families.
When: March 24, 2021
Where: Fulton, Mo. Westminster College
Venue: Historic Gym
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Affiliations: Westminster and Webster are NCAA Division III institutions and members of the
St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SLIAC)
Live Video: HERE
Westminster University COVID-19 Attendance Policy: No Fans Will Be Allowed
Taking a look at the #19 Westminster College Blue Jays (10-2, 10-2 SLIAC):
- Last time out the Blue Jays won a three-set match at home against Eureka College this past Friday (25-11, 23-15, 25-15).
- The Westminster attack is anchored by Haley Menke who is third in the SLIAC with 157 total kills while also ranking fourth in the SLIAC in kills per set at 3.41. Eryka Wanyonyi checks in at sixth place in the SLIAC in total kills with 125 and fifth in kills per set at 2.91. Natalie Needy, has 110 kills, good for ninth in the SLIAC, while also third in the SLIAC in hitting percentage at .271.
- Gretchen Durbala checks in with a conference leading 426 assists. Her 9.26 assists per set also leads all SLIAC setters.
- The Blue Jay defense is powered by a two-time, SLIAC Defensive Player of the Week Erica Schrader with 196 digs which ranks fourth in the SLIAC. Her 4.26 digs per set is sixth in the SLIAC. Wanyonyi follows her with 155 digs. Allie Kennebeck check in with 127 digs.
- The Blue Jays are led at the net by Needy who's been dominant there.Her 37 block assists and 45 total blocks lead the SLIAC in those categories, and she's also first in the conference with .98 blocks per set. She is followed by Payton Bledsoe who is in seventh in the conference with 22 total blocks. Wanyonyi leads the team with 15 service aces good for seventh in the SLIAC.
- The Blue Jays rank third in the SLIAC in kills (552), fourth in kills per set (12.00) and third in hitting percentage (.179).
- Westminster leads the conference in total blocks (79) and is second in blocks per set (1.71).
Taking a look at the #14 Webster University Gorloks (10-2, 10-2 SLIAC):
- Webster University comes into the match after beating Iowa Wesleyan University (27-29, 25-18, 25-20, 25-16) this past Saturday in Iowa.
- The Gorlok attack is led by Lauren Borik with 141 kills, good for fourth in the SLIAC, and her 3.52 kills per set ranks third in the SLIAC. Alexis Wolf follows with 95 kills and Ali Spohr has 65 kills.
- The Webster defense is led by Kyra Gensel with 189 digs which is good for fifth in the SLIAC. Her 4.72 digs per set ranks fourth in the SLIAC.
- Webster ranks second in the SLIAC in kills per set (12.85) and second in hitting percentage (.183).
- The Webster defense ranks first in the SLIAC with 18.65 digs per set and is first in blocks per set at 1.80.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@WC_BlueJays) and Facebook (Westminster College Athletics).