Fulton, Mo. – The #14 Westminster College Blue Jays volleyball team will be back in action this Wednesday at the Iowa Wesleyan University Tigers. The Blue Jays are primed to get back on track Wednesday after back to back losses to nationally ranked teams on the road. The match at Iowa Wesleyan's Ruble Arena is set for a 7:00 p.m. first serve.
When: March 17th, 2021
Where: Iowa Wesleyan University in Mt. Pleasant, Ia.
Venue: Ruble Arena
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Affiliations: Westminster is a NCAA Division III institution and a member of the
St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SLIAC)
Iowa Wesleyan University is a NCAA Division III institution and a member of the
Live Video: HERE
Iowa Wesleyan University COVID-19 Attendance Policy: No Fans Will Be Allowed
Taking a look at the Westminster College Blue Jays (8-2, 8-2 SLIAC):
- Last time out the Blue Jays dropped a four setter on the road at Greenville University (25-18, 23-25, 9-25, 15-25).
- The Westminster attack is anchored by Haley Menke who is third in the SLIAC with 140 total kills while she is also third the SLIAC in kills per set at 3.50. Eryka Wanyonyi checks in fourth place in the SLIAC in total kills with 120 and fifth in kills per set at 3.00. Natalie Needy has 93 kills and also ranksw fourth in the SLIAC in hitting percentage at .258.
- Gretchen Durbala checks in with a conference leading 376 assists. Her 9.40 assists per set also leads all SLIAC setters.
- The Blue Jay defense is powered by Erica Schrader with 172 digs which ranks fourth in the SLIAC. Her 4.30 digs per set is sixth in the SLIAC. Wanyonyi follows her with 138 digs. and Allie Kennebeck rounds it out with 106.
- The Blue Jays are led at the net by Needy who's 39 total blocks leads the SLIAC. She is followed by Menke with 19 good for sixth in the SLIAC. Durbala and Payton Bledsoe who each have 18 total blocks which is good for seventh in the SLIAC.
- Needy and Wanyonyi lead the team with 13 service aces good for seventh in the SLIAC. Kennebeck has 12 service aces.
- The Blue Jays rank third in the SLIAC in kills (484) and 4th in hitting percentage (.177). Westminster also leads the conference in total blocks (68).
Taking a look at the Iowa Wesleyan University Tigers (1-10, 1-10 SLIAC):
- Iowa Wesleyan was picked to finish 6th in the SLIAC Pre-season Coaches Poll.
- Iowa Wesleyan comes into the match after losing at Fontbonne University 3-0 (21-25,
19-25, 22-25) last Saturday.
- The Tiger attack is led by Malieokekai DaMate with 102 kills, followed by Emily Gehring with 58 and Skylar Garcille with 44. Lezar'Rhea Burnside rounds out the IWU hitters with 43 kills.
- Lindsay Fernandez leads the Tigers with 132 assists, followed by Leamaris Fuentes with 70.
- Iowa Wesleyan's defense is led by Jenna Murphy with 209 digs the Most in the SLIAC. She also leads the SLIAC in digs per set with 5.50. She is followed by DeMate with 125, Jaden Streeter has 96.
- Burnside leads the Tigers in total blocks with 22, ranking third in the SLIAC.
- The Tigers are seventh in the conference in kills (308) and rank seventh in the SLIAC in hitting percentage (.056). The Tigers are leading the SLIAC in solo blocks with 20 and are fourth in total blocks (45).
SLIAC WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL STANDINGS