Fulton, Mo. – The nations #10 ranked team the Westminster College Blue Jays volleyball team will look to push their season opening winning streak to nine this afternoon at #22 ranked Webster University. This will be the first ever conference meeting involving two nationally ranked SLIAC volleyball programs. The match will have a first serve time of 1:00 p.m.
When: March 7th, 2021
Where: St. Louis, Mo. Webster University
Venue: Grant Gym
Time: 1:00 p.m.
Affiliations: Westminster and Webster are NCAA Division III institutions and members of the
St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SLIAC)
Live Video: HERE
Webster University COVID-19 Attendance Policy: No Fans Will Be Allowed
Taking a look at the #10 Westminster College Blue Jays (8-0, 8-0 SLIAC):
- On Thursday the Blue Jays received word that they had climbed to #10 in the second AVCA NCAA Division III Coaches Poll of the season.
- Last time out the Blue Jays won a four-set match at home against a talented young Fontbonne University team this past Wednesday (25-18, 23-25, 25-22, 27-25).
- The Westminster attack is anchored by Haley Menke who is first in the SLIAC with 111 total kills while also ranking third in the SLIAC in kills per set at 3.65. Eryka Wanyonyi checks in at fifth place in the SLIAC in total kills with 96 and fifth in kills per set at 3.00. Natalie Needy, the reigning and two-time SLIAC Offensive Player of the Week, has 85 kills, good for seventh in the SLIAC, while also second in the SLIAC in hitting percentage at .342.
- Gretchen Durbala checks in with a conference leading 313 assists. Her 9.78 assists per set also leads all SLIAC setters.
- The Blue Jay defense is powered by two-time, SLIAC Defensive Player of the Week Erica Schrader with 127 digs which ranks sixth in the SLIAC. Her 3.97 digs per set is seventh in the SLIAC. Wanyonyi follows her with 100 digs. Allie Kennebeck check in with 81 digs.
- The Blue Jays are led at the net by Needy who's been dominant there. Her seven solo blocks, 20 block assists and 27 total blocks lead the SLIAC in those categories, and she's also first in the conference with .84 blocks per set. She is followed by Payton Bledsoe who is in fifth in the conference with 14 total blocks. Needy leads the team with 12 service aces good for fourth in the SLIAC.
- Kennebeck ranks seventh in the SLIAC in service aces with 11.
- The Blue Jays rank first in the SLIAC in kills (399), third in kills per set (12.47) and second in hitting percentage (.199).
- Westminster leads the conference in Solo Blocks (17), Block Assists (64) total blocks (49) and blocks per set (1.53).
Taking a look at the #22 Webster University Gorloks (5-2, 5-2 SLIAC):
- Webster University comes into the match after beating Blackburn College (25-11, 25-19, 25-22) this past Wednesday in Carlinville.
- The Gorlok attack is led by Lauren Borik with 74 kills, good for eighth in the SLIAC, and her 3.22 kills per set ranks fourth in the SLIAC. Ali Spohr has 56 kills followed by Alexis Wolf with 50 kills.
- The Webster defense is led by Kyra Gensel with 116 digs which is good for seventh in the SLIAC. Her 5.04 digs per set ranks second in the SLIAC.
- Webster ranks second in the SLIAC in kills per set (12.48) and fourth in hitting percentage (.166).
- The Webster defense ranks first in the SLIAC with 18.65 digs per set and is second blocks per set at 1.30.
SLIAC VOLLEYBALL STANDINGS