Fulton, Mo. – The newly nationally ranked #18 Westminster College Blue Jays volleyball team will once again put their undefeated record on the line this Saturday on the road at the Eureka College Red Devils. The match will have a first serve time of 3:00 p.m. in the Reagan Center.
When: February 27th, 2021
Where: Eureka, Ill. Eureka College
Venue: Reagan Center
Time: 3:00 p.m.
Affiliations: Westminster and Eureka are NCAA Division III institutions and members of the
St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SLIAC)
Live Video: HERE
Eureka College COVID-19 Attendance Policy: No Fans Will Be Allowed
Taking a look at the #18 Westminster College Blue Jays (5-0, 5-0 SLIAC):
- On Thursday the Blue Jays received word that they debuted at #18 in the first AVCA NCAA Division III Coaches Poll of the season. It is the first time ever that the Blue Jays, or any SLIAC volleyball program, has been nationally ranked.
- Last time out the Blue Jays won a 4 set victory over Iowa Wesleyan University this past Wednesday at Historic Gym (25-11, 23-25, 25-13, 25-17).
- The Westminster attack is anchored by Haley Menke who is second the SLIAC with 69 total kills while also ranking second in the SLIAC in kills per set at 3.45. Eryka Wanyonyi checks in third place in the SLIAC in total kills with 65 and fourth in kills per set. Natalie Needy, the reigning SLIAC Offensive Player of the Week, has 48 kills, good for fifth in the SLIAC, while also leading the SLIAC in hitting percentage at .358.
- Gretchen Durbala checks in with a conference leading 196 assists. Her 9.80 assists per set also leads all SLIAC setters.
- The Blue Jay defense is powered by current, and two-time, SLIAC Defensive Player of the Week Erica Schrader with 79 digs which ranks third in the SLIAC. Her 3.98 digs per set is sixth in the SLIAC. Wanyonyi follows her with 51 digs. Durbala and Allie Kennebeck check in with 42 digs each and Menke rounds it out with 37.
- The Blue Jays are led at the net by Needy who's 14 total blocks leads the SLIAC and she also leads the conference with .70 blocks per set. She is followed by Payton Bledsoe, Durbala and Menke who are tied for sixth in the conference with 7 total blocks each. Kennebeck leads the team with six service aces good for seventh in the SLIAC.
- Kennebeck ranks fourth in the SLIAC in service aces with eight.
- The Blue Jays rank second in the SLIAC in kills (245), kills per set (12.25) and hitting percentage (.199). Westminster also leads the conference in total blocks (27) and blocks per set (1.35).
Taking a look at the Eureka College Red Devils (0-6, 0-6 SLIAC):
- Eureka College was picked to finish 8th in the SLIAC Pre-season Coaches Poll.
- Eureka College comes into the match after losing at home to Webster in straight sets (15-25,
19-25, 15-25) this past Wednesday.
- The Red Devil attack is led by Corinne DeBoard with 36 kills followed by Emma Harris with 32 and Regan Reed with 30.
- Faith Catour leads the Red Devils with 110 assists.
- Eureka College's defense is led by Reed with 74 digs, which ranks fourth in the SLIAC. Jordyn Fox follows with 67. DeBoard and Megan Masching check in with 66 digs and 53 digs.
- Katelin Peters leads the Red Devils in total blocks with 7, ranking sixth in the SLIAC.
- The Red Devils are first in the conference in digs (367) and first in the SLIAC in digs per set (19.32).