Fulton, Mo. – The Westminster College Blue Jays volleyball team will put their undefeated record on the line this Wednesday against the Iowa Wesleyan University Tigers. The home match will have a first serve time of 7:00 p.m. in Historic Gym.
When: February 24th, 2021
Where: Fulton, Mo. Westminster College
Venue: Historic Gym
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Affiliations: Westminster is a NCAA Division III institution and a member of the
St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SLIAC)
Iowa Wesleyan University is a NCAA Division III institution and a member of the
Live Video: HERE
Westminster College COVID-19 Attendance Policy: No Fans Will Be Allowed
Taking a look at the Westminster College Blue Jays (4-0, 4-0 SLIAC):
- Last time out the Blue Jays had to rally late to take a thrilling five set victory on the road at Spalding University Golden Eagles (25-17, 20-25, 25-22, 15-11).
- The Westminster attack is anchored by Haley Menke who leads the SLIAC with 61 total kills while also leading the SLIAC in kills per set at 3.81. Eryka Wanyonyi checks in fourth place in the SLIAC in total kills with 47. Natalie Needy, the reigning SLIAC Offensive Player of the Week, has 39 kills, good for sixth in the SLIAC, while also ranking fourth in the SLIAC in hitting percentage at .330.
- Gretchen Durbala checks in with a conference leading 157 assists. Her 9.81 assists per set also leads all SLIAC setters.
- The Blue Jay defense is powered by current, and two-time, SLIAC Defensive Player of the Week Erica Schrader with 70 digs which ranks third in the SLIAC. Her 4.38 digs per set is fifth in the SLIAC. Wanyonyi follows her with 42 digs. Durbala and Menke check in with 32 digs each and Allie Kennebeck rounds it out with 31.
- The Blue Jays are led at the net by Needy who's 11 total blocks leads the SLIAC. She is followed by Payton Bledsoe who has six total which is good for sixth in the SLIAC.
- Kennebeck leads the team with six service aces good for seventh in the SLIAC.
- The Blue Jays rank second in the SLIAC in kills (192) and hitting percentage (.195). Westminster also leads the conference in total blocks (22).
Taking a look at the Iowa Wesleyan University Tigers (1-3, 1-3 SLIAC):
- Iowa Wesleyan was picked to finish 6th in the SLIAC Pre-season Coaches Poll.
- Iowa Wesleyan comes into the match after losing at home to Blackburn College 3-0 (21-25,
19-25, 22-25) last Saturday.
- The Tiger attack is led by Malieokekai DaMate with 32 kills, followed by Lezar'Rhea Burnside 17, Emily Gehring 13 and Skylar Garcille with 11.
- Leamaris Fuentes leads the Tigers with 35 assists, followed by Anna Leidl with 31.
- Iowa Wesleyan's defense is led by Jenna Murphy with 73 digs the Most in the SLIAC. She also leads the SLIAC in digs per set with 6.08. She is followed by DeMate with 48, Jaden Streeter 34 and Leidl's 24.
- Burnside leads the Tigers in total blocks with 8, ranking third in the SLIAC.
- The Tigers are sixth in the conference in kills (92) and rank seventh in the SLIAC in hitting percentage (.027). The Tigers are leading the SLIAC in solo blocks with 9 and are fourth in total blocks (15).